Despite only being a short trip from the city, Adelaide’s southern coastline is a world-away from the hustle-and-bustle.
Hallett Cove is one such coastal community that provides for the mind, body and soul.
Local residents say they can’t imagine living anywhere else.
No wonder so many people moved to the area in the 70s and 80s and do not want to leave the seaside culture.
However, many of these neat brick family homes are now tired, in need of modernising and upgrade.
This was the case for our foodie family and it was no surprise they did not intend leaving Hallett Cove.
Every location in Adelaide has its own reputation and changing a home in a suburb with a strong seaside culture is a big decision that needs to be managed properly.
Experience counts for many things, especially when such a large makeover is planned.
That’s why for our foodie family it was reassuring to know the person shaking their hand was the owner of the business, with 36 years’ experience improving homes around the many different suburbs of Adelaide.
Perhaps most importantly what people love is someone who can design high-quality, generously sized extensions for a fair price.
We do this every day and realise you don’t. That’s why since 1980 several generations of Adelaide families have asked us the same question:
‘I love my location, but my home needs updating – can you help us?’
The finished extension has more than doubled the size of the home and its lifestyle features.
Achieving this whilst embracing the seaside culture of the area is the experience factor shining through in this project.
Our foodie family at Hallett Cove have now settled into a better way of life without the hassle of moving.
Adding rooms to this house was a smart choice.
We’re sharing this project with you because it captures the true essence of what it means to efficiently and sustainably improve your home in the world’s most liveable city.
Here are the details:
This is a modest 3 bedroom neat brick property typical of the Hallett Cove area with an elevated location, owned by a family of food lovers who enjoy cooking together.
Redesigning the kitchen as a larger space with improved functionality and creating outdoor entertaining and socialising space that is easily accessed was very important for the owners.
Elevated views of the ocean were also a must.
The design brief for this open plan extension includes:
- Redesigning and enlarging the kitchen
- Creating new outdoor entertaining space
- Extra ensuite bedroom and personal retreat space
- Take advantage of and maximise exceptional ocean views
- Full renovation makeover of existing living areas
The finished extension has more than doubled the size of the home and its lifestyle features:
- The kitchen and dining space was increased by removing an internal dividing wall
- The new kitchen features a large island bench and extra pantry storage located under stairs
- A large tiled alfresco area accessed directly from kitchen separated with wide sliding doors
- Spacious second storey retreat with direct access to new balcony area
- Second storey master bedroom with 2-way ensuite
Above the alfresco area is a large balcony with spectacular wide-span ocean views.
The new balcony is covered by a gable end roof supported by full height rendered piers.
A privacy screen wall protects the entertaining area and a frameless glass balustrade on the remaining sides allows unrestricted views.
Internal renovations throughout the home include:
- Timber staircase from main entry area leading to the upper level
- Double stud wall installed between the bedroom and ensuite allowing for a cavity sliding door as access
- Dividing wall in the master bedroom providing backdrop to the bed and 2-way access to large walk-in-robe
- Lining of existing vaulted ceiling
- Exposed brick walls and gyprock in family and lounge rooms
- Installation of engineered beam to support the upper storey wall
Other luxury features include:
- Water supply to fridge
- New pantry storage
- BBQ area with gas point and wet bar provision on balcony
- Floor to ceiling tiling in new ensuite
- Large end shower with full length tiled niche and frameless screen
- High spec fittings and high light window above mirror directly in line with vanity
- LED downlights installed throughout
- External rendered finish
Building on to your home is not as scary as it sounds
6-star energy rating
SHI has the skills and experience to design a home with less reliance on heating and cooling appliances.
This family has now reduced their ongoing household costs, by building a 6-star rated energy-efficient extension.
Importantly, we can achieve a 6-star energy-efficient home without compromising on quality, practicality or visual appeal.
25-year structural warranty
SHI has a long-standing partnership with its suppliers and trades people. We design and build sustainable home extensions by carefully sourcing and using the highest quality, environmentally sound products.
That’s why this family scored a 25-year structural warranty on their new extension.
Love your location, not your home?
We’re like family to generations of South Australians who have used us time and time again to improve their lifestyle.
Why? We’re creative people who build awesome homes.
Since 1980 we’ve been South Australia’s most trusted home improvement company specialising in home extensions, home additions, home renovations and second storey additions.
For more inspiration view our Gallery of stunning home extensions, home additions, home renovations and second storey additions here: INSPIRE ME